Who I Am Matters

Where I come from

I come from a city in the suburbs of Los Angeles known as Downey. The location of my home fits my personality like a glove. I'm mainly introverted and enjoy the appeal that smaller quieter cities offer, but I like to have the option to visit the naturally larger, louder downtown and experience the allure that it offers.

Where I am going

After living in Los Angeles for the entirety of my life, I plan on jumping into the unknown and exploring life in another state after college. Stepping out of the comfort of a city that has become my home is scary but also very exciting. Los Angeles is the place I want to settle in during my later years as my parents age, but before then I want to spend a few years after college to explore one city, or who knows maybe that one will turn into several.  

My plan to get to where I'm going

Luckily, after college, I'll be working for a firm with offices worldwide. This past summer I interned at the firm within the deals advisory practice, and, at the end, I received the news of an offer in the Los Angeles office. Right away, I reached out to my human resources manager and asked for a switch to the Denver office. A few days later I received an updated offer with the line," Office location: Denver, Colorado". So next step, Denver, Colorado, and we'll see where that takes me. 

How I'm LIKE my parents versus how I'm unlike my parents 

My parents and I are very similar. I take pride in my sensitivity as I enjoy being there for others, and feeling and acknowledging my own emotions. Despite coming from very macho families, my parents are also very sensitive individuals and have taught me to take pride and have confidence in vulnerability. 

My parents and I are also very different when it comes to the interests we share. Their upbringings have been very different from my own. My parents weren't allowed to join sports and extracurriculars because my grandparents were determined to keep them off the streets. I know this may sound crazy, but in the areas they grew up in gang activity was very high and they would witness their closest friends follow that path, which for many of them have led to unfortunate outcomes. Through their hard work, I grew up in a different atmosphere and had the opportunity to join sports and follow my interests with extracurriculars

A role model for me

A non-family member role model for me is David Goggins. Despite every reason not to succeed, he has become and ultramarathon runner/cyclist, public speaker, author, triathlete, Navy Seal, and part of the Air Force Tactical Air Control Party. With all of these accolades, the average person would assume he started his success at a young age, but the opposite is true. He turned himself into an unmotivated pest exterminator into an absolute machine by using one small but powerful tool: accountability. He instilled the belief into me that when I'm tired and think I've hit my capacity, I could always give more. 

My expectations for myself

My strong belief is that I am in charge of my life. I don't always have the power to control the outcome, but I am responsible for how I respond, and the amount of effort I've given. With this belief, I take pride in holding myself accountable and try to apply that mentality to my relationships, schoolwork, fitness, and jobs that I hold. I love this way of thinking because it puts the power of happiness into my control.

My wild animal

I feel a special connection with wolves. Wolves are powerful animals individually, but their true strength comes when they're within their pack.

Significant encounter with a tree or plant

In the backyard of my childhood home, which is still my current home, I have a tall orange tree. I would enjoy the oranges with my siblings by eating the slices, and better yet, by getting some practice swings in with the orange acting as our makeshift baseball. 

Sun Sign - 11 degrees Gemini

Moon Sign - 20 degrees Capricorn 

Ascendant or rising - 02 degrees Virgo 


Comments

  1. Hi Marc! Really enjoyed getting to know you through your blog. I also had a similar mindset in that I wanted to explore a new city, so this past summer I interned in Denver. It was such a fun place to explore. Is there a reason you chose Denver or was that the only other office location?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marc, great, and very detailed post about yourself. I saw that you have received offer to work in Colorado, Denver. Are you planning to stay there for a longer time, or are you planning to look for a possible work in other places?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

American like me - 2

Job Description

Resilient by Rick Hanson BOOK 2 POST 2